Some Hindus/sects make a big campaign that Islam restricts the freedom of women. Let us compare the positions of the
Hindu woman and the Muslim woman. These are based on practices and beliefs known to still exist widely within the large number
of Hindu castes and sects, independent of the country laws that deal with them. See the following facts for comparison . You
be the judge.
The Hindu Woman:
1. The laws and rights of marriage and divorce (if at all) are undefined or varied for the Hindu Woman leaving her with
none or very little advantage.
2. The same applies for property or inheritance rights. Males make and absorb all claims.
3. Choice of partner is limited because she can only marry within her own caste; moreover her horoscope must match that
of the intending bridegroom/family.
4. The family of the girl has to offer an enormous dowry to the bridegroom/family.
5. If her husband dies she loses value in the family/society. Sati (being cremated with her dead husband) is a possible
exit/recommendation. Since today's law forbids Sati, society mainly punishes her in other "holy" ways (see below).
6. Remarriage is a big problem.
7. The widow is considered to be a curse and must not be seen in public. She cannot wear jewelry or colourful clothes.
(She may not even take part in her children's marriage!)
8. Child and infant marriage is encouraged.
9. A woman is brought up to believe that she must look upon her husband as a god (Pati Parmeshwar).
The Muslim Woman:
"Their Lord responded to them: "I never fail to
reward any worker among you for any
do, be you MALE OR FEMALE,
YOU ARE EQUAL TO ONE ANOTHER..."
1.The Muslim woman has the same right as the Muslim man in all matters including divorce.
2. She enjoys property and inheritance rights. (Which other religion grants women these rights?). She can also conduct
her own separate business.
3. She can marry any muslim of her choice.If her parents choose a partner for her, her consent must be taken.
4. Dowry in islam is a gift from a husband to his wife .
5. A Muslim widow is allowed to remarry, and her remarriage is the responsibility of the Muslim society.
6.Mixed marriage is encouraged and is a mean to prevent racism creeping in society.
7. A Muslim mother (and father) is given the highest form of respect.
8. Marriage is between consenting adults. Since marriage is a more significant institution than a financial
one which needs maturity, Maturity and understanding is required for marriage as much.
9.God teaches clearly in the Quran "...do not reverence human beings; you shall reverence Me (God) instead...."
The Hindus are trying to claim that Muslims do not give freedom to their women. You be the judge.